Learn more about this position, skills needed, and what Melton offers by clicking here.
Estimates residential remodels, commercial tenant finishes, and other light construction projects. Documents the exact scope of work and meets with Sales and Production to review budgets. Works with in-house designer on value engineering so that our designs fit the customers’ budgets. Organizes all project information so that the production team can build it. Works with subcontractors and suppliers to lower our costs. This includes negotiating and establishing unit pricing with subcontractors.
- Prepare detailed quantity takeoffs, cost estimates and secure firm vendor and subcontractor pricing for assigned projects.
- Thoroughly review project documents and create the scope of work required for each trade.
- Attend tradewalks with subcontractors and design team to answer questions and support discovery of site specific conditions.
- Prepare and review field reports, estimates and quotations for production binders.
- Negotiate lower costs with subcontractors and suppliers.
- Develop and maintain unit price database for our subs and suppliers.
- Perform constructability reviews for all design drawings.
- Meet schedule commitments made to customers and/or company sales people.
- Perform periodic on-site observation of construction projects.
- Price and document project change orders with the Project Manager.
- Maintain and update historical cost database to improve estimating accuracy.
Skills & Knowledge:
- Strong knowledge of residential and light commercial construction, including expert blueprint reading skills and “on screen” takeoff process.
- Knowledge of local building markets and subcontractor base.
- Knowledge of IBC / IRC and local building codes
- Ability to create conceptual estimates with minimal information
- Able to work well with customers, subcontractors and suppliers, as well as our design and production teams.
- Able to work independently in a very organized manner.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Skilled negotiator.
- Excellent follow through with numerous simultaneous projects.
- Skilled with the Microsoft products suite including Excel, Word, Project and Outlook
- Experience using industry standard computerized estimating software.
- Experience using WinEst estimating software a plus.
Education & Experience:
- 5-10 years of field experience as a lead carpenter.
- 5-10 years of construction estimating experience.
- Minimum 5 years of experience with Microsoft Excel, Word, Project, and Outlook.
How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.