Learn more about this position, skills needed, and what Melton offers by clicking here.
Responsible for company accounting and finances. Manage a staff that does much of the day to day work in QuickBooks, and also do some of the accounting work yourself. Work closely with the General Manager and Owner and report on the financial condition of the company, make significant financial decisions, establish and monitor the annual budget, and track our job cost performance. Also participate as an engaged member of the company’s Leadership Team.
- Billing and accounts receivable, accounts payable, general ledger, assets and depreciation, taxes, job costing, and financial statements.
- Oversee payroll and financial aspects of benefits administration, both of which are handled by our HR Generalist.
- Provide status of the financial condition of the company by collecting, analyzing, interpreting, and reporting key data.
- Develop and manage your accounting staff.
- Ensure our accounting is accurate and giving us a true and clear financial picture.
- Evaluate and streamline processes to increase Melton’s effectiveness and improve the overall company.
- Evaluate and advise on the financial impact of long-range planning and initiatives.
- Financial advisor on any contracts the company is considering entering into.
- Analyze estimate vs actual reports for individual job and aggregate issues.
- Collect and present operational metrics.
- Take full advantage of all favorable tax codes.
- Analyze company financial trends to assist the General Manager and department managers in performing their responsibilities.
- Active Leadership Team (LT) member who helps develop solutions to business challenges.
- Manage the tax prep process and work with our CPA to get our tax returns done.
- Harness Ready Build (software) to automate and streamline accounting and reporting.
- Manage and oversee our various types of insurance and costs.
- Maintain and update our QuickBooks accounting software.
- Obtain and maintain company licenses necessary for our smooth operation.
Skills & Knowledge:
- Good manager and leader of a team.
- Good understanding of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- Very proficient with Microsoft Excel.
- Proficient with QuickBooks, Microsoft Word, and Microsoft Outlook.
- Good strategic thinker.
- Understanding of percentage completion / work in process accounting a plus.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor degree in accounting or finance. CPA or MBA a plus.
- Ten years of hands-on managerial accounting experience.
- Four years of direct employee management experience.
- 3+ years of job cost or product cost experience.
- 4+ years of hands-on QuickBooks experience.
- 2+ years of experience running payroll.
- Experience in the construction industry preferred.
- Able to work independently in a very organized manner.
- Proactive and organized with a strong attention to detail.
- Excellent follow through.
- Emotional intelligence.
- Building and exhibiting team member trust.
- Engaging in effective and productive communication.
- Engaging in unfiltered conflict around ideas.
- Commitment to decisions and plans of action.
- Holding oneself and others accountable for delivering against the agreed upon action plans.
- Focusing on the achievement of collective results.
- Our Leadership Team has confidence that the accounting, compliance, reporting, taxes and paperwork are being accurately maintained and meet timeline expectations.
- Accounting department runs like a well-oiled machine.
- Is trustworthy, professional and delivers on commitments.
- Works collaboratively and effectively with the Leadership Team, employees, trade partners, vendors and other outside contacts.
- Fits in with Melton’s culture and is a role model who exemplifies the company’s values, standards and practices.
- Holds team members accountable to established goals and provides constructive and positive feedback on performance to ensure each team member contributes to the success of the company, feels appreciated for their contributions, and is offered opportunities to grow and develop professionally.
How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.